Sunday 26 November 2017

W.A.S.P. Live at Warsaw Progresja 25th November 2017


First saw W.A.S.P. at Manchester Apollo in 1986 and then again at Castle Donington in 1987 when Chris Holmes and Johnny Rod were in the band alongside the ever-present Blackie Lawless.  Enjoyed them a lot more than I'd expected on both occasions.

Then saw W.A.S.P. twice in 1992, again at Manchester Apollo and Castle Donington, on 'The Crimson Idol' tour (with Johnny Rod still being alongside Blackie Lawless in the band).

Thus, having not seen W.A.S.P. for 25 years, I thought it would be interesting to catch up with them again at Warsaw Progresja last night.

'The Crimson Idol' was done in full with a film backdrop.  As expected, my favourite tunes from this were 'Chainsaw Charlie'; 'I Am One'; and the Prog-type 'The Great Misconceptions of Me' (my favourite W.A.S.P. tune).

Then, afterwards, we got 'Love Machine'; 'Wild Child'; 'Golgotha'; and 'Wanna Be Somebody'.

'Golgotha' is a daring track and obviously reflects Blackie Lawless' Christian beliefs, and, for this reason, it was interesting to see the crowd's reaction to this tune and the crucifixion + white dove imagery on the backscreen.  Personally, I really liked it and thought it was possibly the tune of the night, although some in the crowd looked as though they might not have known what to make of it.

Not sure if it was me, but, at times, last night, the band sounded 'a bit flat'.  This could be just me as I'd had a flat day yesterday and may've projected this onto the gig. 

No comments:

Post a Comment