Sunday 29 September 2024

Around Elton Reservoir Towards Radcliffe

After visiting Tottington and catching the bus back to Bury, I had two wonderful, ice cold pints of Stowford Press cider in Wetherspoons which did the trick, nicely quenched my thirst. 

After this, I strolled down past Whitehead Tower Clock, my old school, St. Gabriel's, and the hogweed-infested footpaths running alongside the river Irwell to the Monkey Bridge:

Down here, I saw many kinds of non-English/non-European people sauntering round, it was a little disorientating.

But soon afterwards, I found myself veering round the left-hand side of Elton Reservoir, affectionately known as 'Elton Raz' to traditional Bury folk:

And then a really nice surprise, I found a great footpath which served as a shortcut to Radcliffe, cutting out Bolton Road completely:

Either side of this footpath, I passed field after field, let's hope it remains that way.

After 20-25 minutes of pleasant walking, I came out somewhere on the road to Radcliffe that starts from the Three Arrows pub at the top, and heading towards Radcliffe, I came across St. Andrew's Anglican church:

Not sure if I've never seen or just not properly taken notice of St. Andrew's church before.

But as can be seen, it certainly is an impressive-looking building:

Despite the profound formal appearance, I've just read that St. Andrew's offers a kind of low church/evangelical rendition of Anglicanism.


I'm not Anglican but I'm always happy to run into an impressive Anglican church building like St. Stephen's, it was like a half-hidden gem in a modern urban setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment