Sunday 22 September 2024

Coniston-Yew Tree Tarn Walk


The last small adventure in my late August trip to Coniston turned out to be a Sunday morning walk to Yew Tree Tarn (pictured above).

After coming across a local Real Ale brewing place:

Somewhere near the river behind the Black Bull pub, I took a path leftward hoping to get to Elter Water.

As expected, the walk turned out to be quite scenic, and despite the sky being murky, I still hoped for the best after a much-needed, calm night of camping.

However, upon reaching Yew Tree Farm, the whole sky had got much darker, with heavy rain looking an almost certainty:
 

But my mood became more positive when I saw a small lake ahead:

Realising that it couldn't be Elter Water, which was still a few miles away, I asked a group of lads who were fishing about the place I'd chanced upon. They told me that it was Yew Tree Tarn which was good for brown and rainbow trout.

Yew Tree Tarn had a footpath running round it which made for a short pleasant walk:

With a gushing stream/narrow river running nearby:

After Yew Tree Tarn, I still had it in mind to head for Elter Water, but the fell land became increasingly difficult under foot:



So, despite the shaded beauty of the walk:

When heavy rain started with no signs for Elter Water appearing, I started heading back to Coniston which turned out to be a wise decision.

It rained heavily all the way back to the pop-up campsite at the side of the Lake at Coniston:

As the badly waterlogged ground started moving ever closer towards my tent, I made the decision to pack up and make a dash for the bus to Ambleside and Windermere, to catch the train to Oxenholme and onto Bolton, and finally, to get the bus to Bury, my home town.

I just sensed that another night camping in wet and windy conditions would've been a step too far, as would've been the hike to Elter Water.

No comments:

Post a Comment