Saturday 21 September 2024

Low Yewdale-Coniston Circular Walk

Having arrived in Coniston and set up camp next to the Lake itself, I decided to take a stroll round Low Yewdale.


From my tent, I soon found myself following a path uphill, passing a farmstead in the process:

Soon afterwards, I found myself in lush green countryside, made radiant by heavy rain:

And passed some white cottages at Low Yewdale village, I think (???):

A short time afterwards, I passed what looked like another farmstead, next to a main road:

Love how the big stream/narrow river breaks into a Y-shape below:

Close contact with beautiful countryside was now taking my mind off an upcoming windy/rainy night of camping.

At some point, I got on a peaceful path which pointed towards Coniston:

Many years ago, around 1990 or so, while in my mid-20s, with two friends, I walked to Coniston from Windermere or Ambleside, with the fields below taking me back to the latter stages of the trek (I'm sure we walked over these fields but it may be my mind playing tricks):

It was wonderful to be surrounded by greenery:


To pass lower mountain streams:


While still being directed towards Coniston village:

Just before Coniston village I passed over a swirling river:

To end up at the Black Bull pub:

Have just read that during Samuel Taylor Coleridge's famous 9-day walking tour of the Lake District in 1802, he stayed in Coniston on August 7th where he is thought to have slept at the Black Bull pub, dining on Oatcake and Cheese, while drinking a pint of ale, two glasses of rum, and water sweetened with preserved gooseberries.

Of course, it is also said that Coleridge drank laudanum (opium in alcohol) during his nine-day adventure.

Like with Wordsworth, I have a big respect for Coleridge. Can recall studying Frost at Midnight; Dejection: an Ode; Christabel etc. for English Literature A Level back in the late 1980s, and have recently gone through The Rime of the Ancient Mariner in some detail, now viewing it as a brilliant account of Christian purgation (repentance/redemption) process.

And, of course, Kubla Khan is the inspiration for Xanadu by Rush (my favourite Rock band ever). 

No comments:

Post a Comment