Saturday 21 September 2024

Walking Through Edenfield

I delayed my trip to the Lake District by 2-3 days to avoid heavy rain, and one day, while still in Bury (Lancashire), I had a walk from Shuttleworth to Rawtenstall, starting from the Celtic Cross in the church grounds below:

This walk allowed me to take in Edenfield, between Shuttleworth and Rawtenstall, which still retains a kind of old Lancashire feel:


When I was younger, the Rostron Arms was often mentioned as an in-place for a drink:

Edenfield Parish Church, which is said to date back to the 17th or even 16th century, is an incredibly beautiful building:


Looking through the windows, I could see that the inside of the building held a certain, old world charm:



Heading towards the drop into Rawtenstall, I saw an impressive-looking building being either restored or dismantled (let's hope it's the former):

And what looked like an old estate, groundsman's house:

Plus another interesting-looking building:

Just before turning into Rawtenstall, I had a wonderful potato pie at an English corner shop, and after this, started heading back to Shuttleworth, passing agricultural life on the way:


For a main road, this is a decent walk.

Getting nearer to Shuttleworth, I saw an advertisement for Bleakholt Animal Sanctuary which looks after and finds homes for cats, dogs, rabbits, guinea pigs etc.

A friend of mine, Andy, does voluntary work up at Bleakholt, he really enjoys the work.

For a short while, I walked up a side path seeing a windswept, derelict building in the distance:

The countryside here looked worthy of exploration:


But more for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment