Monday 16 November 2015

First Hearing '2112' by Rush


The classic (breakthrough) Rush album '2112' was released in 1976, and thanks to an old mate, Andy Hawkins, I got to first hear this great album in about 1978, as a 12-year-old in Bury, Lancashire.

Back then, I wasn't aware of the Ayn Rand influence on the album (for me now, this is another big plus), but was just blown away by encountering my first great Rock concept album.  After playing the song '2112' to death for a few months, I started really liking the tunes on the second side of the album ('Tears'; 'Something for Nothing'; 'A Passage To Bangkok' etc.).


Yeah, this was the album that got me hooked on Rush and Rock music in general.  From here, I went on to quickly pick up 'A Farewell To Kings' and 'Hemispheres', and I've seen Rush numerous times over the years starting with the 1980 'Permanent Waves' tour.  Really owe Andy Hawkins a massive thanks for introducing me to '2112' and Rush (we were collecting bonfire wood as schoolboys at the time).

No comments:

Post a Comment