Tuesday 15 August 2017

Weymouth Old Town Hall


Having visited Sandsfoot Castle, I was heading down towards Weymouth Harbour, when from a distance, I caught sight of this wonderful Old Town Hall building.


A few accounts on the Internet tell me that this beautiful building was originally built in Tudor times; rebuilt in 1774; and restored in 1896.


However, the greatest story seems to be a far more recent one about a community project of volunteers called the 'Guardians of the Old Town Hall' restoring the building from a state of disrepair, with it now being regularly used for exhibitions and community events.


Despite all the recent restoration work, as I encountered the Old Town Hall on a hot Sunday afternoon, I just sensed that it conveyed a sense of Weymouth's history, it just had that kind of aura.

No comments:

Post a Comment