Wednesday 2 August 2017

Thomas Hardy's Wessex: Melbury House


In contrast to the previous day's outward journey, I had no problems passing through Melbury Park (taking in Melbury House above) on my early morning, return walk from Melbury Osmond to Evershot.

Margaret Marande ('The Hardy Way' page 120) explains that Mrs Charmond's house in 'The Woodlanders' is not modelled on Melbury House, although Hardy did make use of "its situation in the park and surrounding woodland" as a locale for the novel.  Moreover, Marande adds that Melbury House is the model for King's Hintock Court in the first story of 'A Group of Noble Dames'  which, as it happens, I'm currently reading.

Have just read that St. Mary's chapel below, which was always going to catch my eye, contains tombs of beautiful stone heraldry and an incredible altarpiece (just wish I'd been able to have a look inside, but it was 6.30 in the morning).



Still, I got a quick look at Melbury House both from the side:


And round the back where it really did look impressive:


And finally, after passing deer in the distance in the country park, I arrived at the Lion Gate, relieved to know that I'd safely negotiated my way to Evershot for my early morning bus back to Dorchester:


No comments:

Post a Comment