Monday 14 August 2017

Passing Weymouth Union Workhouse


Having got off the bus from Portland to look for the Rodwell Trail so as to walk to Sandsfoot Castle, I saw the building above, and from its general shape and demeanor, thought that it had to be a workhouse/almshouse:
 

Now, having been back in Warsaw, Poland, for a few weeks, I find myself searching the Internet for information about Weymouth Union Workhouse.

First, I've discovered that it was built in 1836 after the Poor Law Amendments of 1834.  Besides, I've just read that it was built from Portland stone to an extended H-plan/design so as to clearly classify and segregate its inmates, with males being accommodated to the left and females to the right.  Correspondingly, each internal area had access to a yard, while the central section was occupied by Workhouse administrators.

Moreover, I've just read that the inmates were served off-putting/unappetising food (gruel, bread and cheese); were made to wear coarse cloth uniforms and sleep in communal dormitories; and received a once-a-week, supervised bath.  On top of this, the able-bodied were made to do hard manual work, while the elderly and ill sat around in sick wards.

Finally, I've just discovered that after 1939, Weymouth Union Workhouse became Portway Hospital, and then in 1992, the site was redeveloped for residential use and is now called Union Court:


Just had to let my curiosity lead me towards finding out a bit about this particular Workhouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment