Wednesday 9 August 2017

Thomas Hardy's Wessex: The Eldridge Pope Brewery Building, Dorchester



Last year, when I'd arrived at Dorchester south train station, literally a few minutes after, I was stood admiring the old Eldridge Pope Brewery building above.

Have finally just got round to reading up on this wonderful building, discovering that W.R. Crickmay, Thomas Hardy's mentor during his early career as an architect, designed the brewery building which was built in 1880.  Have also just discovered that many years after Hardy's death, the brewery produced Thomas Hardy's Ale which at 13% was featured in the 'Guinness Book of World Records' as the UK's strongest, commercially brewed Ale.  Bit too strong for me, I'm afraid, despite its great name.

Sadly, the brewery was forced to close in 2003. 


However, the Brewery Square commercial development area which, in a tasteful fashion, now sits alongside the old Eldridge Pope brewery building, does contain an interesting micro-brewery pub.


And from the 'Brewhouse & Kitchen', I drank this wonderful pint of Real Ale after my afternoon trip out to Wool and Wareham this year:


No comments:

Post a Comment