Saturday 12 August 2017

Thomas Hardy's Portland: Cave Hole to Portland Bill


As I made my way towards Portland Bill from Cave Hole, I still encountered breathtaking views.


And quite soon, I caught sight of the red-and-white lighthouse at Portland Bill in the distance:


Which soon got bigger and bigger:


It looked like the old loading crane below may've still been in use:


Have always had a soft spot for such small coves:



In 'The Hardy Way' (page 161), Margaret Marande explains that the "135 foot high" lighthouse was "built in 1905 to replace an earlier one". 


But feeling so uplifted after a great coastline walk, I didn't really pay much attention to the famous landmarks at 'the Beal' (the locals' name for Portland Bill).



More important for me, Margaret Marande informs that in 'The Trumpet Major', "Anne Garland goes to the Beal to watch Bob Loveday sail past on HMS Victory" ('The Hardy Way', page 158).  She also reveals that Hardy's 'The Souls of the Slain' poem "written in 1899 at the time of the Boer War, tells of the souls of men killed in Africa homing overhead at Portland Bill" ('The Hardy Way', pages 160 and 162).

No comments:

Post a Comment