Tuesday 1 August 2017

Thomas Hardy's Wessex: Melbury Bubb


Had to visit Melbury Bubb as it is often viewed as the village model for 'Little Hintock' in Hardy's 'The Woodlanders'.

As is often the case, I found myself focused on a village church in a remote 'Hardy place':


The most significant thing inside the church of St. Mary the Virgin is probably the 10th/11th century, Anglo-Saxon baptismal font below:


The old carving on the outside of the church below made me think of a common thematic thread in Hardy:  aristocratic family lines that become forgotten, almost as if they never existed:


Have just read that the churchyard shots below are looking out towards Bubb Down Hill:


Here, I met a man with silver hair and London-type accent who introduced himself as the church warden's husband who had come to lock the church up for the night.  He told me that I could take a woodland path to get back to the A37 more quickly.  But, of course, I didn't do that as I have a habit of getting lost on such ventures.



Don't ask me how it happened but it did: I somehow managed to take many shots of the Melbury Bubb church without taking any of the Manor House nearby (the picture below is taken from the Internet):




Not 100% sure if the two shots below are from Melbury Bubb (or are cottages leading to Melbury Osmond the other side of the A37):


Anyway, the one below is how I would imagine a typical 'Little Hintock' cottage to look like:


No comments:

Post a Comment