Friday 26 April 2013

Deciding To See Roger Waters Do 'The Wall' in Warsaw

After thinking about it for a couple of months or so, I eventually decided to get a ticket to see Roger Waters do 'The Wall' at the National Football Stadium in Warsaw:



Never was big on Pink Floyd, and, to be honest, the only Floyd album that I ever played to death was 'The Final Cut' (some people would view this as more of a Waters solo album).  However, slowly but surely, even though I didn't appreciate it at the time as a 12 or 13-year-old, 'The Wall' has come to mean something, and feel that I must see it done live while there's still the chance to do so.

What does 'The Wall' mean for me?  Well, without having analysed the deeper meaning of the work, the whole atmosphere of the piece just reminds me of draconian times at secondary school in late 1970s/early 1980s Britain:  the violence; the swishing of the cane; the general psychological intimidation etc.  This has just stayed or grown in my subconscious for years, and whenever I hear anything from 'The Wall', I'm just taken back to those years with both pain and some kind of sublime nostalgia.

Currently have 'Goodbye Blue Sky' dominating my mental jukebox:




And, of course, 'Comfortably Numb' has never been far from the forefront of my mental jukebox:




Yeah, didn't really appreciate 'The Wall' all those years ago, but, for me, this work has become canonised with time, and, better late than never, I now more fully appreciate what I think it is:  a great British institution.  Yes, it's pure Britishness is endearing.

No comments:

Post a Comment