Saturday 20 April 2013

Molly Hatchet at Warsaw Klub Progresja 6th December 2010

A few days before this gig, I literally didn't have a clue that I would be going to it, and had never even imagined that I'd be able to see classic Southern Boogie band, Molly Hatchet, in Warsaw, Poland, of all places.  Thus, how did I get to see Molly Hatchet at the Warsaw Klub Progresja then?

Well, first of all, I'd liked Molly Hatchet with Danny Joe Brown on vocals in the late 1970s and with Jimmy Farrar doing the vocals in the early 1980s.  After this, Danny Joe Brown returned as vocalst till the mid-90s, but I just kind of lost touch with the band somewhere along the way quite early on.

However, one evening, I was just surfing the net, and decided to have a look at what Molly Hatchet were up to, and to my amazement, I found out that the band were playing Warsaw Klub Progresja in a couple of days time.  I still guess that this must've been some kind of late announced warm-up gig before the band headed to Germany for bigger shows, but who cares, fortune was shining on me, and I got to see Molly Hatchet (with guitarist Dave Hlubek recently back in the fold).

The gig itself was a bit bizarre played in front of about 200 people at the most (I guess it would've been much fuller if it'd been advertised more rigorously), but the band did a good set with 'Flirtin with Disaster'; 'Beatin The Odds'; 'Fall of The Peacemakers' etc., and the Lynyrd Skynyrd classic 'Freebird' predictably being the audience's favourite tune of the night.


During the show, current (since the 1990s) Molly Hatchet frontman, Phil McCormack gave a big thanks to someone called Christian for getting the band over to Poland, so I guess it's the latter guy that I have to thank for getting to see Molly Hatchet.

On Youtube, some people claim that the current Molly Hatchet are more of a Bobby Ingram MH tribute band, but for me, this was the real Molly Hatchet: it's just great that such a great band continue in some shape or form, especially thanks to the efforts of Bobby Ingram.

No comments:

Post a Comment