Saturday 20 April 2013

Underrated Bands: Gov't Mule

Every now and again, a golden moment occurs, for example, an epiphany-type discovery in music, and, for me, this happened recently with Gov't Mule.  A few weeks ago, I saw that Gov't Mule were playing Warsaw Klub Progresja on July 1st, and through vaguely knowing them as a Warren Haynes spin-off project from the Allman Brothers, I (very wisely) started giving them a good listen and immediately loved what I heard.

First of all, I listened to tracks like 'Banks of the Deep End' and 'Beautifully Broken' and from this moment onwards, I've been hooked, can't get enough of listening to Gov't Mule every day:




For me, this music is a kind of throwback to the great Rock music of yesteryear:  it's melodic and deeply moving, not just some kind of noise. 

It's also quite rare that I like listening to bands doing cover versions, but with Gov't Mule it's different, their cover versions just sound really fresh and upbeat, such as their version of Fleetwood Mac's 'Gold Dust Woman' below:


Yeah, for me, this is a cover well worthy of the sublime original.  Also looks like Grace Potter and The Nocturnals will be well worth checking out.  Love the way that I can continually discover great music through Youtube surfing.

Also, through discovering Gov't Mule, I've started giving the Allman Brothers a proper listen, the latter being another great band that I've only known in passing over the years.  Being British, I was never really fully exposed to the full range of Classic Rock music from over the Atlantic.  Of course, with the Allman Brothers, I've always been aware of a few signature tunes such as 'Whipping Post':


What an incredible guitarist Duane Allman was.  Also love the kind of general Psychedelic feel to 'Whipping Post'.

Also really like 'End Of The Line' especially the standout Dickey Betts guitar parts (Warren Haynes in the picture below):



Yeah, the Allman Brothers have always been blessed with great guitarists.

Seem to remember that I had the opportunity to see the Allman Brothers at Manchester Apollo in the early 1980s, but like a fool never seized the chance, as the band were well outside my radar at that time.  Still, as I'm going to see Gov't Mule at Warsaw Klub Progresja, maybe I'll get the chance to see them do the Allman Brothers' 'Soulshine':



Thank God this kind of music still exists, as it's real food for the soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment