Friday 12 April 2013

Vienna: Some Parting Shots and Thoughts

Here are some more shots from my Easter visit to Vienna, of course, there'll be some pictures of churches amongst them.

First off, here's a shot of a famous Viennese horse and cart passing the Austrian Parliament building:


Quite clearly the passengers were enjoying themselves even though it was a touch cold.

Next up, here is the Opera House, was really pleased I had my reasonable camera with me so I could get a decent shot of it:



Also got a shot of a big Uniat (Eastern Rite Catholic) church:



Got to a much smaller Uniat church near the hotel where I was staying on Holy Saturday.

Also came across the 'Minaret' church, and inside here (or the Votive church, I can't remember exactly which one), I got a true taste of Easter:







Yes, my Catholicity still doesn't leave me, and deep down, I'm grateful for that. 

Near the small hotel where I was staying, I also came across a couple of gems:  an idyllic little Austrian bar in front of an amazing Baroque church:





About the cafe bar, as soon as I saw it, my mind harped back to 1973 when I'd last been in Vienna as a 7-year-old child, and I'm not totally convinced that this is just the imagination playing tricks.  About the beautiful Baroque church, it looked as if it might be permanently locked up which, if the case, would be tragic.

However, all in all, I think I got something that I needed from my Easter trip to Vienna:  possibly a sense of a religious self still surviving in the rotten, disenchanted, politically-'correct' world that we must all now sadly stomach.


No comments:

Post a Comment