Wednesday 3 April 2013

The Ferris Wheel, Vienna

In 1973, when I was seven years old, I went on a camping trip to the Alps in Austria with East Ward Youth Club from Paper Town (Bury), as my father was working at this (now longtime disappeared) Youth Club at the time.  This was an incredibly magical point of my childhood experience, as both the Alpine landscapes and the Austrian cities, especially Vienna and Saltzburg, were absolutely stunning.

One of my vague memories of the 1973 Austrian trip was the Ferris Wheel in Vienna, so when I was in this great city again last weekend, I had to visit the Ferris Wheel:


The Wheel wasn't exactly the same as the image that had remained in my mind's eye for the past 40 years, but it still held a lot of nostalgia for me, as the trip to Austria with my father and late mother and late brother, Nicky, was the highlight of my childhood by far. 


Was really happy to have a (semi-) decent camera with me, rather than just the silly little mobile lens that I always carry round with me.  Love the Gothic-type effect that my little camera gets out of the trees near the Viennese Ferris Wheel.


Yes, I'd been in Warsaw for 10 years, and finally I'd caught the train down to Vienna to retrace some of my childhood steps from 40 years ago.  In a way, it was eerily beautiful, it was pure nostalgia, the sublime stomach-churning experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment