Monday 6 May 2013

Pope Francis at St. Peter's Square on 1st May 2013


Was happy to be in the audience for Pope Francis I's Address at St. Peter's Square on the 1st May. 



It was a wonderful atmosphere with Italian and other Latin European teenagers running about shouting "Papa!  Papa!" as the Pope mobile made its way round the fringes of the crowd.



Was really happy that there were quite a few screens in the crowd so everybody could follow the Pope's movements quite clearly.



In the picture above, you can actually just about see the Pope (left of centre) making his way through the centre of the crowd.



Above, some Spanish teenagers are using their national flags to shelter from the sun, as it felt like it was 30+ celsius in the May Day crowd.  Being amongst Italians; Spaniards; Argentinians; Mexicans etc. made me strongly sense that I belong to an essentially Latin American/Latin European faith.



This was the first time I'd seen a Pope since seeing Pope John Paul II way back in 1982 at Heaton Park near Manchester.  I remember the latter time well, as I'd just left school at 16 years old. 



Yeah, St. Peter's looked positively radiant in the distance, it was a great occasion. 


Hope I get to see another Pope one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment