Sunday 12 May 2013

The Jewish Ghetto Memorial in Warsaw

For months, I'd been walking past a large fenced off area where a large glass building was being constructed, not having a clue what it was, but just the other day, I finally found out that it was a giant building accompanying the Jewish Ghetto Memorial below:


Of the Memorial itself, I was first drawn to the Jewish Passover Chanukiah symbol below.


Moreover, upon closer inspection, I saw that there was a 'stone offering' accompanying the picture of a young person in front of the chanukiah:


The young person must've been a victim of the Nazis, as the date 1925-1943 lay in the bottom left-hand corner of the picture.  Of course, like anybody else, I found this moving.

A few months before this, I'd seen this kind of  'stone offering' on a grave in the Jewish cemetery in Warsaw, and some months before this, I'd seen the same thing at a prehistoric, Stonehenge-type site in County Cork, Ireland.  Thus, the offering of small stones to the dead may've been a central religious ritual of early man, still kept alive by modern-day Jews and Pagans. 

Besides the above, I was drawn towards the ornate design of the glass on the huge building accompanying the Jewish Ghetto Memorial:



Think that I'll have to visit the Jewish Ghetto Memorial again to get a fuller picture of the place.

No comments:

Post a Comment