Saturday 18 May 2013

The Chromatics Live at Warsaw Basen 17th May 2013



What a cracking gig this was, much better than I'd expected, to be honest. 

Why better than I'd expected?

Well, a few weeks ago, I'd never really heard of The Chromatics, but saw that they were playing the Basen in Warsaw, and checked them out on Youtube. 

Thus, on the strength of the band doing decent cover versions of Kate Bush's 'Running Up That Hill' and Neil Young's 'My My, Hey Hey' ('Into The Black') and me quickly liking some of their own stuff such as 'I Want Your Love' and 'In The City', I thankfully ended up seeing The Chromatics in Warsaw last night:



What was my favourite track of the night.  Well, that would have to be the quite Gothic-sounding 'Back from the Grave'.  The video below is of the band doing 'Back from the Grave' in London in 2012 (thanks to whoever put this on Youtube):



Also really liked it when female vocalist, Ruth Radelet, did the timeless classic 'Blue Moon' on her own as the first encore:



Also really happy that a good person has already put a video of the band doing 'Lady' at Warsaw last night on Youtube, giving us all something to remember the concert with:


Yes, this was a really enjoyable concert, reminding me a touch of the Beach House gig at Warsaw Fabryka Trzciny last year. 

How would I generally describe The Chromatics?  Well, for me, they're a kind of mixture of Psychedelia; hypnotic New Order type sound; and almost Prog-type Dream/Synth Pop.  Yeah, it's really difficult to pigeonhole the band, as they seem to draw on multiple genres for producing their own beautiful sound.

I'm also starting to like Warsaw Basen as it seems to have a nice, dare I say it 'cool' atmosphere.  The picture below is a shot looking down at the concert area after the gig last night:

No comments:

Post a Comment