Sunday 7 July 2013

The Roman Ruins

My trip to Italy in late April/early May was so good that I'm still constantly thinking about it.  In a nutshell, it was incredible, I loved it.

During our last afternoon in Rome, we went walk about, crossing a bridge over the River Tiber, towards the old Roman ruins and, finally, the Coliseum.  Of course, wherever you looked, there were signs of Classical antiquity in the city centre:



But what was the highlight of my afternoon canter round Rome?  Well that would have to be passing the ancient church ruin below:



As we just casually sauntered by, I suddenly remembered seeing pictures of this incredible iconography years ago.  Thus, I was really happy to get a close-up shot of this wonderful religious art.

After the Christian church ruin, we headed towards the Coliseum, passing all sorts of interesting (pagan) statues, old churches, and other ruins:









Finally, we reached our destination, as the Coliseum first came into view, then got gradually bigger as we more quickly strode towards it:


What an incredible experience all of this was!  I'd finally seen Rome, the Eternal City!

No comments:

Post a Comment