Wednesday 26 February 2014

CAE Writing: A 'Job Application Letter' Model


The other day, my small in-company CAE exam class asked me to write a model for a Job Application Letter on the board, so that's what I precisely did (above).  There's only a couple of students in the class so it's always easy to just start writing and get the students to co-write it with me.

Of course, the idea is to raise the students' awareness of the external (4-5 paragraph) structure and the internal structure (use of linking devices; functional language; good vocabulary; use of rhetorical questions; formal versus informal social register etc.) of any CAE piece of writing.  For me, the 20-minute co-construction process above is as good as any technique for doing this.  Yes, it's primitive but for my situation it's perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment