Sunday 16 February 2014

Discovering Norwegian Prog: Airbag and Gazpacho


Discovered Norwegian (Neo-) Prog band Airbag through checking them out on Youtube after seeing that they're playing Warsaw Progresja (which has recently moved from Stare Bemowo to Fort Wola) in May.  It goes without saying that after checking out the 'All Rights Removed' album (especially liking the title track above), I didn't hesitate to get a ticket for the Airbag Progresja show.  Like a lot of people, Airbag remind me of a later Pink Floyd, and this isn't a bad thing, of course.

On the Warsaw Progresja internet site, I also saw that another Norwegian Prog (ish) band Gazpacho are playing the Progresja, this time in early April.  Only knowing the name Gazpacho in passing, I also decided to check them out on Youtube.  With Gazpacho, I can hear such a diversity of things in their music that they really are impossible to categorise:


At first, I didn't quite know what to think of the lead vocalist Jan-Henrik Ohme's (for me, unusual) high-pitched vocals, but now, after a sustained listening of the band, the whole thing (including the vocal style) seems to gel together perfectly, and, consequently, I won't be missing them at the Progresja. 

So what are my favourite Gazpacho songs then?  Well, I really like 'Tick Tock Parts I and II' below:



So what can I say other than they must be putting something good in the water up in Norway, and I'm really enjoying my exploration of both Airbag and Gazpacho now.

No comments:

Post a Comment