Sunday 2 February 2014

Fields of the Nephilim Live at Warsaw Progresja 1st February 2014


The Klub Progresja has now moved  from Stare Bemowo to a much bigger place on several floors at Fort Wola called the Progresja Music Zone, and I was at the new place for the first time last night to see Fields of the Nephilim (above).

Before last night, I'd only seen Fields of the Nephilim once, many moons ago, during a sunlit Friday afternoon at Reading Festival in 1987.  The line-up that day had included All About Eve; The Godfathers; The Fall; and headliners The Mission. 

Back in 1987, I hadn't really known Fields of Nephilim at all, and roll on 27 years to the present, and I still only really know them in passing, 'Psychonaut' and 'From the Fire' being my two favourite tunes, much preferring these to 'Moonchild', to be honest.


However, when the band did 'Moonchild' as the encore last night, they just seemed to nail it:


Thus, it's really good to see that a fantastic person has put part of 'Moonchild' from last night on Youtube already:


Must also say that Carl McCoy is a great performer, effortlessly oozing an almost mystical, enigmatic presence on stage.  At some point in the past, I read about him being interested in shamanism, the Crowley-type occult etc. which, at times, must shine through the lyrics, so I guess that Fields of the Nephilm can be appreciated at a much deeper level than the purely aesthetic level that I'm taking them in at.

Also must mention that I enjoyed the Polish support band Cloisterkeller (below) last night.  I was already familiar with Cloisterkeller, who have been around since 1988, through seeing them on Youtube, and that's why I got to the Progresja early to make sure that I caught them last night.


So what about the main stage room at the newly located Progresja?  Well, it's much bigger than the old place at Stare Bemowo, and the sound seems okay.  Just one thing I didn't like, the frisking by the security going into the place did seem to be over-the-top (never had this at the old Progresja).

No comments:

Post a Comment