Thursday 13 February 2014

Walking through the Burrs and Ramsbottom to Park Chapel, Stubbins


Back to another one of my 'long walks' while staying in my hometown of Bury, Lancashire over Christmas:  through the Burrs, Summerseat and Ramsbottom to have a look at Park Chapel in Stubbins on Boxing Day. 

During this walk, I was lucky enough to catch the whisp-like smoke of a steam train (above), and to get a good shot of one of my favourite riverside spots nearing Summerseat (below):


Love the shot of the tree roots above, as they almost look alive. However, when I got to 'Rammy', all the shops were shut, it being Boxing Day after all:


So after having a quick cup of tea at my friend Simon's place, I made my way up to Park Chapel at the top of the Brow in Stubbins.  Here, I discovered that the beautiful chapel had been renovated and cleaned up, as it was being/had been turned into new luxury flats (better than being turned into a mosque, I guess):


The block of stone below shows that many years ago, the chapel had had an accompanying Sunday School:


Here, I managed to get a shot of the chapel from the back of the building, as I was walking through the accompanying small graveyard:


It was sundown so it was the perfect time for getting shots of gravestones, such as the Celtic cross and gently elevated tomb below:



Think that Celtic crosses are incredibly beautiful, and can't resist taking pictures of them:

2 comments:

  1. Are the graves still there as i am looking for the Porritt family who i believe could be buried here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last time I was there, a couple of years ago now, the graves were still at Park Chapel, Michelle.

    ReplyDelete