Saturday 9 May 2015

'Columbus of the Cosmos' by The Yuri Gagarin Contraband (Ben Shilling)


So my song of the day (haven't done one of these for a while) is 'Columbus of the Cosmos' by The Yuri Gagarin Contraband.

And the story of how I came across this tune?

Well, a guy who I know from about 10 years ago through having worked at the same EFL establishment in Warsaw, Ben Shilling, sent me six songs from his long-term music project, The Yuri Gagarin Contraband.

In quick summary, I like all six tunes, as they all seem to have a mid/late 1960s, psychaedelic-type feel, and Ben Shilling's gentle melodic and innocent-sounding voice reminds me of an early David Bowie. 

But what I like best about the six songs, especially 'Columbus of the Cosmos' (what a fitting title for Yuri Gagarin), is the kind of innocent, pre-politically 'correct' devotion to a hero.  Yes, the awful politically-'correct' mob, who seem to control the Western world, may frown at people having heroes, but people need to be enchanted, to feel some sort of transcendence.

Thus, with 'Columbus of the Cosmos' here, I can feel and appreciate another person's aesthetic devotion to a worthy hero, Ben Shilling's tribute to Yuri Gagarin.

No comments:

Post a Comment