Monday 4 May 2015

Finally Reading Some Ayn Rand


After many years of intending to do so, I eventually find myself reading some Ayn Rand, 'The Fountainhead' to be exact.

But why?  Well, I just want to feel some of the inspiration that may've led Neil Peart to write such Rush classics as '2112'; 'Anthem'; 'Free Will'; 'Tom Sawyer' etc.

And my initial thoughts being 125 or so pages into the novel?  Well, as I wrote to my good old friend, Dave Dealy, the other day:

"Absolute magic: don't let the herd drag you down; create as 'perfect' a self as possible; the negativity of communitarian ideologies; the individual above society; an aesthetic polishing of the Kantian self-creation imperative; remaining tunnel-visioned for lengthy periods of time to create a stronger, truer self etc."

Don't know if I'm talking through my hat here, but that's what I seem to be getting from Rand thus far.  Not sure what I think of 'selfism' or 'selfist' ideology, to be honest.


No comments:

Post a Comment