Saturday 30 May 2015

Epica Live at Warsaw Ursynalia Festival, May 29th 2015


Another candidate (alongside Delain; Archive; Ozric Tentacles; and Def Leppard) for my concert of the year here, as I finally got round to both seeing Epica and visiting the Warsaw Ursynalia Students' Festival for the first time.

Really enjoyed Epica, as they have many interesting things going on in their music: Simone Simons' amazing operatic voice; recurring male grunts (not usually my cup of tea but it works with Epica); alternations between pulsating rhythms and melodic tender spots; and interesting use of synthaxe.


My favourite tunes of the evening would have to be 'The Second Stone' and 'The Obsessive Devotion' (my favourite Epica song), but all the songs just seemed to develop into a beautiful soundscape (e.g. all the songs harmoniously followed each other - my sense of a fantastic gig), and the whole set perfectly merged in with a wonderful, balmy, spring evening.


And, finally, the light show accompanying the Epica set was great.  Been paying more attention to the role of light shows in concerts since seeing the amazing Def Leppard light show at Warsaw Torwar a couple of weeks ago (what I'm getting at here is that a good light show nicely complements great-sounding bands, the audio and visual dimensions being in perfect harmony).
 


No comments:

Post a Comment