Friday 21 July 2017

Thomas Hardy's Wessex: Knapwater


Last year, during my first pilgrimage to Hardy's Wessex, I somehow managed to visit Stinsford; the footpath from Stinsford to Lower Bockhampton; Lower and Higher Bockhampton etc. and almost completely bypass Knapwater, the setting for Hardy's first novel 'Desperate Remedies', in the process.

However, this time round, I immediately remedied last year's mistake by taking the Stinsford to Lower Bockhampton path (one of Hardy's favourite walks) and turning left into Knapwater about halfway (or two-thirds) down the path.  Through doing this, I was greeted with the grandeur of Knapwater Park Old Manor House, the steward Manston's house in 'Desperate Remedies':


I soon found out that this Old Manor House had further significance:


And was quickly greeted with the enchantment of the Knapwater Lake:


Think this may be the 'waterfall' mentioned in 'Desperate Remedies', but I'm not entirely sure:



To be fair, last year, I did catch sight of Kingston Maurward House, Miss Adclyffe's Knapwater House in 'Desperate Remedies', from a distance when I slept rough not being able to put my tent up at night on a chalk field nearby, but this time round, I was blessed to see the building at much closer quarters:


Love the Gothic-type scene below:


All in all, 'Desperate Remedies' is far from being one of my favourite Thomas Hardy novels, as there is simply way too much intrigue in it.  However, I still felt thrilled at uncovering much more of the Knapwater setting from this novel this year round.

Having found Hardy's Knapwater, I could happily set up my tent for the night:

No comments:

Post a Comment