Saturday 22 October 2022

Bury: Walking Past Elton Raz

 

After climbing up the embankment near the River Irwell and the Canal, Elton Raz came into view.

As I turned round, I got a great view back down the embankment and into the distance of the Wharf area of Bury:


 Elton Raz looked stunning, it even reminded me a bit of the Lake District which I'd visited recently.

Have just read that Elton Reservoir was built in 1842 during the height of the canal era, with it now functioning as a big leisure facility (for sailing, fishing etc.) for many people from Bury, Bolton etc.

The Boathouse looked fantastic, have always wondered if there's a members' bar in there:

Upon leaving Elton Raz, I saw again (like on Bury Canal) that local people were frightened of having their greenbelt land destroyed and taken away from them by Bury Council (or other similar forces):


Really hope all the Greenbelt Land is saved, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment