Saturday 4 January 2014

Black Pits, near Norden (Rochdale)


The old bridge arches, like the one above at Black Pits near Norden (Rochdale), must have many old tales tell. 

In my late teens in about 1986, I worked up at Black Pits on a Community Programme scheme doing dry-stone walling and building steps like in the picture below:


On a recent walk through Black Pits, I was glad to see that the old retaining dry-stone wall (pictured below) that I built with my good old friend, Dave Dealy, was thoroughly moss-covered but still standing now:


The wonderful wooden arch bridge below was added to Black Pits in 2006, and its incredible how it has so effectively blended in with the natural surroundings:


Yes, whoever designed and put in the wooden arch bridge really knew what they were doing and did a mightily fine job.

No comments:

Post a Comment