Monday 6 January 2014

Deciding To See Yes in Warsaw in June


Above, at somewhere near their peak, Yes are doing my favourite tune of theirs, 'Parallels', back in 1977 at the time of 'Going For The One' . 

Was a first year at secondary school in Bury, Lancashire back then and was just starting to listen to bands like Yes (more Rush and Blue Oyster Cult, still my two favourite bands, to be honest).  Still, it took me until 7th June 2004 to eventually get to see Yes on their '35th Anniversary' tour at the Sała Kongresowa in Warsaw, with the classic Anderson-Howe-Squire-Wakeman-White line-up, and the concert was incredible, one of my best over the years.

Moving forward almost 10 years, a few months ago, I saw that tickets were out for Yes at Sała Kongresowa for 2nd June 2014, but, knowing that Jon Anderson and Rick Wakeman had left the band some time ago, I just decided to let this news fly by.  However, recently, I started to get ear that the band would be doing all of 'The Yes Album'; 'Close To The Edge' and 'Going For The One' on this tour, so I had to start seriously thinking about going to the show.

In response, I went onto Youtube to see how the current line-up of Yes were doing, and really liked what I heard ('Parallels' and 'Starship Trooper' below):





Of course, this led to me getting a ticket for the upcoming Warsaw show immediately, and not really knowing why I'd dragged my feet in the first place (well done to all the good people who have put videos of the band playing live from the US in 2013 on Youtube). 

Yes, this current line-up of the band looks more than fine:  for me, Geoff Downes is great (think that 'Drama' is a heavily underrated Yes album) and Jon Davison likewise, being as near to Jon Anderson as may be humanly possible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment