Monday 20 January 2014

A Master Horseman's Memorial, Near Norden


During my Christmas stay in Bury, Lancashire, one day, I got caught in a storm while a little lost on a dirt path just off the top end of Ashworth Valley Road, when I came across the memorial above at the side of the path.

A few weeks later when back in my adopted city of Warsaw, Poland, I decided to look into the story of the memorial, and, from a 2011 Bury Times online article, discovered that Mr. Tony Dampier (in the photo below) had been a world-renowned horseman, giving professional advice about horses and setting up stables in different parts of the world, and had been tragically thrown from a horse while going down a path near Norden. 



Of course, here it clicked, during the storm, I'd most probably wandered down the path where Mr. Dampier had tragically died.

No comments:

Post a Comment