Friday 24 January 2014

My Friend Tom's Artwork in Warsaw


The above is an interesting piece of artwork by my friend, Tom, in Warsaw. 

However, Tom is essentially an anthropologist, having worked as such at Warsaw University for many years.  In the picture below, Tom is proudly displaying the walking boots that he used for over 20 years of ethnographic fieldwork all over the  Balkans:


The title of Tom's crucifixion scene below is 'The Three Marys' (by accident rather than design, I've managed to get myself faintly into the background in the picture below):


The picture below is poignantly entitled 'The End of Life', and reminds me of when my mother was dying of cancer in 2011:


Below, Tom is turning towards his anthropological work in the Balkans, focusing on a specific dance only performed by the women there:


Finally, the picture below is entitled 'The Swiss Woman', and, for me, here, Tom creates a hugely mysterious aura about the woman in the picture:


Finally, I must say that I view Tom's drawings as representing some kind of profound pictorial anthropology, as a seemingly straightforward method draws out such deep meaning concerning various aspects of human experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment