Sunday 5 January 2014

St. Paul's (Anglican) Church, Norden


When I worked up at Black Pits all those years ago (not far off 30 years ago now, in fact), I always just used to refer to the elevated church above as 'Norden Parish church', but after a quick search on the internet, I've just discovered that it's called St. Pauls.

All those years ago, I used to just look at this beautiful building from a distance, and it was only over this Christmas that I finally decided to climb the steps to view the church close up:


Really love the church spire/tower construction below, just find it wonderfully unusual and ornate:


Must say that the people must've been (must still be) incredibly small to get through the door below, so I guess that it must've been designed as some kind of children's entrance:


Yes, from all angles, I found this church worthy of admiration:


Looking at the stained glass windows outside the church could only make me imagine how beautuful they must be inside:


A second reason for going up and having a look at St. Paul's?   Well, that was to sit on a bench up there and eat my cheese and onion pie and chips from the wonderful traditional English, family-run 'chippy' nearby.  The homemade cheese and onion pie was an honour to eat as it was 'more cheese than onion', just how I like it. 


All in all, St. Paul's church was well worth a quick look round, as a stop-off on my walk up towards the Owd Betts pub and Cheesden Valley.

No comments:

Post a Comment