Friday 15 August 2014

Looking Forward To Seeing Patti Smith in Warsaw on 17th August 2014

Like many people, I guess, I first came across Patti Smith through (the Bruce Springsteen written) 'Because the Night' single as a schoolboy towards the end of the 1970s:


 This lead me to getting the 'Easter' album from which I also really like 'Ghost Dance' (below recorded by a great person at a European Festival a few days ago):


And then the follow-up 'Waves' album from which my favourite tune is 'Dancing Barefoot':


Despite this, I only got round to seeing Patti Smith live (with my good friend, Simon Cusick, at Manchester Apollo in Britain) in the mid-90s on the 'Gone Again' tour:


Then, I also kind of lost track of Patti Smith again for many years until earlier this year, when I saw that she would be playing Warsaw on August 17th, and got a ticket immediately despite the gig being at the Park Sowinskiego (for me, a truly dreadful place but that's another story). 

I also only got round to listening to Patti Smith's most recent (2012) album release, 'Banga', a couple of days ago, but, since then, I haven't stopped playing it, as it's simply fantastic, my favourite tunes being the beautiful, straightforwardly melodic 'April Fool' and the10-minute epic 'Constantine's Dream' (both below):




Love the general concept of the 'Banga' album: Patti Smith's reflections on the aesthetic beauty and, for equal measure, the complete chaos encountered in our world.

Thus, all in all, I really do look forward to seeing Patti Smith again this Sunday in Warsaw.

No comments:

Post a Comment