Sunday 14 October 2012

Barcelona Cathedral

Haven't done a post about my foreign travels for a bit, so here goes.  I absolutely loved a 12-day trip to Barcelona in 2010.  Everyone rightly raves about Gaudi's La Sagrada Familia in Barcelona, but hardly anyone mentions the equal splendour of Barcelona Cathedral above.

Inside the cathedral, it's absolutely stunning as the golden side altar shows in the picture below.


However, perhaps the most magical part of the cathedral for me was the courtyard where these geese were enjoying their permanent feeding time.  Quite naturally, the tourists absolutely loved these creatures.



I found this courtyard somewhere inside the cathedral grounds on the first day of my stay in Barcelona, but rather bizarrely, couldn't find it again, no matter how hard I tried.  The picture shows that the courtyard does exist, but the whole episode remains a riddle to me.

Near to the cathedral, there was a stunning alleyway and short corridor joining two buildings together.  My wife loved this, but try as I might, I couldn't find her the cathedral courtyard with the geese.  This really remains a mystery to me.


Last but not least, there was a final strange twist to my encounter(s) with Barcelona Cathedral.  Again bizarrely, a cardboard cut-out of General Francisco Franco stood outside the cathedral, and many (especially American if I recall correctly) tourists enjoyed having their pictures taken with him.  Despite believing that Franco's forces were the less of the two evils in the Spanish Civil War, I wouldn't have expected to find a cardboard cut-out of the man in modern-day Catalonia. 


2 comments:

  1. Hi Pat, Just been looking at the cathedral geese on You Tube.

    Amazing picture of you, the crowd and the general.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the left of the picture, you'll notice another tourist waiting to have a picture taken with the General, and further to the left a queue was forming.

    Glad you like the courtyard geese, Dave, they were stars.

    ReplyDelete