Wednesday 31 October 2012

My Healthy Diet in Poland

As I've entered middle-age, I need to take care of my digestive system, which means very little meat; potatoes; chocolate; spicy food, beer etc.  Thus, having taken inspiration from my friend Northsider Dave's cooking reports, I've decided to show my low fat diet in Warsaw.


First off, I love plumbs, but a few here and there during the day rather than a load just before bedtime.  Second, I absolutely adore the Greek-type yoghurt below.  In fact, I love it so much that I can't resist eating it before the main course.  It has a wonderful sour taste, something similar to a good pint of bitter.



What about the main course?  Well, first, I chop up a couple of carrots and some green beans or brocolli as below.




Next, I bring a pan of boiling water to the simmer to cook my vegetables well without destroying all the vitamins, and after 15 minutes, I add a bag of rice to the simmering vegetables.



After another 15-20 minutes of simmering, I drain the vegetable juice into a couple of cups so that it can be drunk for vitamin enrichment later in the day. 



And, finally, the end product itself:  what I call my vegetable and cottage cheese rice cake. 



Here, I'm flitering margarine and tomatoes into the rice base, while below I've put my cottage cheese middle-layer on top of the foundation.



Finally, the picture below shows the end product.  You can see that the vegetables are topped off with yet more cottage cheese.  Another idea is to put some tomato sauce, but not too much, on top to give the meal an ice cream effect.


Just one word of advice, you can probably see that this is quite a large meal, so I try to eat it midday, and often only eat half of it in one go, saving the other half for an hour later. 

Hope you enjoy it!

4 comments:

  1. Think I will try your vegetable and cottage cheese rice cake Pat. Your blog post suggests that you are like me and should have been an army chef? I always make far too much and use every pot and pan and kitchen utensil.

    Any chance of a blog from your favourite Vietnamese restaurant in Warsaw? Don't they make beef in ginger?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was in Que Huong today eating tofu curry, as I very rarely heve steak in ginger these days. However, the next time I'm there, I'll get the steak in ginger and take a picture of it so you know what it looks like. I only eat meat about twice a week now, Dave.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beef is great Pat. Every time you eat some meat your supporting farmers. What's tofu curry?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tofu (vegetarian protein) cooked in curry with vegetables and onions, rice and side salad, it's almost as good as steak cooked in ginger.

    ReplyDelete