Friday 5 October 2012

Yellow Flowers in October

Near the Racławicka metro stop in Warsaw, there is a wonderful huge area of allotments.  Currently, we're entering autumn, knowing that the beautiful yellow, organge and fawn colours will be replaced by a dour brown, then the darkness of winter.  However, it's better to enjoy the moment while it lasts, yellow flowers peering their heads out of and over the Racławicka allotment area fence.






I think it's really important to take solace in the beautiful immediacy of 'small things' like this.  One Friday evening/Saturday morning, I was surfing Youtube for music and other such things, when I came across a wonderful interview with Lou Rhodes, the vocalist of Manchester band, Lamb.  She was speaking about the influence of Zen Buddhism on her life, and the value of spotting and fully taking in the often overlooked beauty of some everyday things.  This struck something of a chord.  Below, Lamb are doing 'Little Things' from the Warsaw Free Form Festival in 2011.



Unfortunately, I didn't get to see Lamb here, as I was stuck in Papertown (Bury) for 5 months at the back end of 2011.  However, I got to see them shortly after I arrived back in Warsaw, as they played the Palladium in February this year.  Below, Lamb are doing 'What Sound' from this concert (I'd last seen Lamb about 10 years ago at Manchester Academy).






6 comments:

  1. Are they Polish flowers Pat? Never seen anything like them.

    Love the bit about smelling the flowers and taking it all in. There is a Buddhist retreat near me in West Cork. It's called: Dzogchen Beara. Have a look at its site Pat, if you can chance.

    Loved the jam like session,instrumental at the end of the Six by Six track yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you like Six By Seven, Dave, how about Lamb? I think they're one of the best bands out of Manchester.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The best bands out of Manchester? Morrissey (Lancashire's Elvis Presley)poet, wordsmith and probably close to being a genius, Barclay James Harvest: one of the very few rock bands to come from the Manchester area. Is there a famous heavy rock band from the Manchester area Pat? I know Phil Lynott lived in Manchester for a time. Think he was born in Birmingham, England's rock capital. 10 CC. Another one of my favourite Manchester groups: "I don't like cricket - I love it."

    Should be your theme tune Pat.

    Can't say I'm struck on Lamb. Will have to give them a listen a few times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, you're right, Dave, most of the bands that have come from (or near) Manchester seem to be Allternative-types: The Smiths; James; Puressence; Joy Division; New Order; The Chameleons; Lamb etc.

    I remember you liking Barclay James Harvest. Didn't you also like Sad Cafe, Dave?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did like Sad Cafe Pat. Can never understand why they weren't massive. If only theyy could have been a big American band like Boston or Starship. Don't they call it: "Adult Orientated rock?"

    Think most really good bands have keyboards, don't you Pat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, that's why I like Lamb, Dave.

    Starship (Jefferson Airplane/Starship) were a much better band in the 1960s. Alongside Love (Arthur Lee and co.), Jefferson Airplane/Starship were psychaedelic genius.

    ReplyDelete