Thursday 11 October 2012

Warsaw Old Town and Krakowskie Przedmiesćie

 Below is a small video clip from a service at the Most Holy Trinity (Lutheran) church in central Warsaw.  This gives you an idea of the kind (and quality) of music that can be sung during a Lutheran service here.


After leaving this Lutheran church after a service last Sunday, it was midday, and I felt positively uplifted.  Thus, despite it being a quite chilly day, I decided to walk down to Krakowskie Przedmiesćie (the road to the Old Town), and onto the Old Town itself.

Before getting to Krakowskie Przedmiesćie, I passed the 'Tomb of the Unknown Soldier', always a place to stop and reflect on things for a few minutes.




On Krakowskie Przedmiesćie, I first passed the big Catholic cathedral; then a couple of other Catholic churches and the Polish Parliament building sandwiched between them.






Really love the exterior of the church above.  In all of the Catholic churches that I passed on the way to and inside the Old Town, there seemed to be well-attended Masses either going on or just finished.  I guess that going to Mass in such beautiful surroundings has a good feel to it (I certainly enjoy walking down this way).

I really like the 'strangely-shaped' building below.



The police were out in some force on Sunday, so I guess that some kind of political march was going to pass by the Parliament building.

Finally, I reached King Zygmunt's Column and the Royal Square entrance to the Old Town. 




Glad to see that I caught something of the Royal Palace on the right-hand side of the top picture above. 

Not far into the Old Town, I was into the Old Town Square with some of its outside drinking tables still there.



Glad to see that the woman on the right above seemed to be happy about having her picture taken.

After the Old Town Square, it was time to pass through the Barbican, and into the second half of the Old Town, where, as usual, there were plenty of Catholic churches. 




If I'd been hungry, I could've chosen to go in one out of several good restaurants and eating holes down here.  Below is a picture of the famous Polish dish, pierogi.



My favourite pierogi is 'pierogi z ser' (small dumplings containing cheese), but I can also eat 'pierogi z kapusta' (small dumplings containing cabbage) as long as enough chilli is fried with it (my own innovation).

Not far after the Barbican, I turned left towards the bus stop home for the 116 bus.  This bus stop is near yet another Catholic church (I'm Catholic so I'm fine with this), and several war memorials (Warsaw Old Town was flattened during the 2nd World War, but was incredibly well rebuilt after the War).





Can't wait for next Sunday.  I love my religious exploration and relaxing walks.  Maybe I'm rediscovering what Sunday should be about.


2 comments:

  1. Warsaw looks an incredibly beautiful city Pat. It must must be really poignant standing at the tomb of the unknown soldier?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like any place, Warsaw is beautiful in parts, Dave. On one hand, in beauty, Warsaw is no Krakow, but on the other hand, it's more interesting than what people may expect.

    ReplyDelete