Tuesday 19 September 2023

Breach House, Eastwood (Second Lawrence Family Home)

While on Nottingham Road, which runs through central Eastwood, I passed the local Wetherspoons:

With the few hours I had to explore Eastwood, I didn't have enough time to go inside the aptly named Lady Chatterley.

Not far up Nottingham Road, I turned into and made my way down Wood Street, and then across to Garden Road where at number 28, I found D.H. Lawrence's second family home, Breach House:


The Blue Line Trail leaflet reveals that Breach House is a kind of a model for the "The Bottoms" setting where the miners and their families live in Sons and Lovers. 

For me, Sons and Lovers is Lawrence's second greatest achievement (behind The Rainbow), as it explores Freud's Oedipus Complex theme through the focus on Mrs Morel's intense relationship with her son, Paul, as she distances herself from her miner husband.

One of my lasting memories from Sons and Lovers is Mrs Morel's embittered antipathy towards Miriam Leivers, Paul Morel's first girlfriend, who is deeply religious and self-conscious.

Think that Sarah Lancashire (of Coronation Street fame) plays the role of Mrs Morel incredibly well in a two-part film version of Sons and Lovers.

The Blue Line Trail leaflet adds that in general, Sons and Lovers offers the reader "rich information" about the everyday life of a "mining family" in Eastwood.

Throughout my tour of Eastwood, I sometimes encountered signposts at the Lawrence sites which  offered general information about the sites:


The Blue Line Trail leaflet states that the Lawrence family moved to The Breach from Victoria Street in 1887, when Lawrence was only two years old, and stayed there until 1891.

Have just read that Breach House is occasionally opened up for visitors to see how the Lawrence family lived there.

No comments:

Post a Comment