Thursday 21 September 2023

Walking Round Newark-on-Trent

The day after my trip to Eastwood, it was the day of the Stonedead Festival, and at the Newark Travelodge, my travelling companion and I were joined by another friend from Bury (Lancashire). 

My two friends are pictured below enjoying an Asda breakfast:

While my two friends headed for Stonedead in a taxi (a very wise choice as things turned out), I decided to have a look round Newark town centre before walking up to the Festival, and did get to see some interesting-looking buildings:

In particular, the outdoor market square was very impressive:

Wonder what the the umbrellas represent?  Possibly a symbol to hold off the rain, who knows?

Love the Newark-on-Trent coat of arms:

Have just read that the animals on the coat of arms are an otter and a beaver, at first sight, I thought they were a couple of bears, but my eyesight isn't great.

In the market square, I saw Newark Town Hall:

Have just read that this building was built in the late 18th century.

But the most impressive building that I came across was the Parish Church of St. Mary Magdalene which dominated the Newark town centre skyline:


Have just discovered that parts of this church date back to the 12th century, and unsurprisingly, it is one of the largest parish churches in England.

For me, St. Mary Magdalene's church had the grandeur and stature of a cathedral.

Next to St. Mary Magdalene's, there was a school for learning to make violins:


Have just read that the School of Violin Making dates back to the late 19th century.

To be honest, all around me, I saw interesting-looking buildings in Newark:

But I had to make haste to the Stonedead Festival which turned out to be a b*ll-ache to get to on foot.

No comments:

Post a Comment