Wednesday 20 September 2023

Visiting the Lawrence Family Grave (Eastwood Cemetery)

As things turned out, I didn't have enough time to visit Eastwood Library but did manage to get to Eastwood Cemetery, to see the family grave where Lawrence's mother (Lydia), father (Arthur), and brother (Ernest) are all buried:

Not long before leaving Eastwood and heading back to Langley Mill, I turned down Church Street, passing the Parish Church of St. Mary:


And came upon the cemetery further down, with the Lawrence grave being fairly easy to find as it was signposted.


The Blue Line Trail leaflet explains that in contrast, D.H. Lawrence, himself, was "originally buried in France", with the headstone now being "on display in the Birthplace Museum" where I started off my quick tour of Lawrence sites in Eastwood.

However, the leaflet also reveals that Lawrence's wife, Frieda, "had his body exhumed and cremated" with the idea of "scattering his ashes in New Mexico".

With this sombre image in mind, I started walking out of Eastwood towards Langley Mill to catch my trains back to Nottingham and Newark-on-Trent.

No comments:

Post a Comment