Thursday 14 September 2023

Wild Camping at Tintern Abbey

 

As if wild camping isn't difficult enough, we ended up doing it on a footpath in woodland on a slope/hillside high above Tintern Abbey.

The ground wasn't level and I spent all night repeatedly slipping down from the top to the bottom of the tent.

At one point, I even noticed that my wedding ring had slipped off my finger (fortunately, I found it amongst a pile of coins at the bottom of the tent).

 

We mainly ended up camping in this insane position because my travelling companion refused to camp on more favourable land below, nearer to the Abbey (he was afraid of camping on private land and being forced to move on). 

On our way up to the unfavourable wild camping position, we passed a pub which had a roof that was almost level with the rising pavement:

And our mad wild campsite was also only just outside earshot of a holiday home:


The next day, after enduring a creepy night of falling leaves, weird bird noises, and badger, fox, or stray cat footsteps, we found out that far more favourable wild camping ground was available further up the hillside.

And of course, if I'd had my way, we would've wild camped in the valley below, setting up the tents while it started to get dark and taking them down at dawn (I did this behind some trees on a village green in a remote part of Dorset some years ago).

No comments:

Post a Comment