Saturday 16 September 2023

Walking up the Slad Valley

As things eventually turned out, the walk from Stroud up the Slad Valley was brilliant with many picture postcard views along the way:


We set out from near the pub in Stroud below:

And very soon afterwards, we passed another pub:


And a War memorial:


Despite being on a main road, we then had only the Slad Valley for company:


And it was both subtle and stunning:

 

My friend was struggling with blistered feet so he decided to wait at a bus stop for an hourly bus service that, as it happened, failed to materialise, although I saw a few buses heading downwards towards Stroud.

Anyway, after some time, I found myself entering the village of Slad:


Where, at times, the roofs of the houses seemed to be the same height as my head:



The woodland below reminded me of the scenes from Cider with Rosie where deserter soldiers can be seen hiding in the woods around Slad:


In truth, I've only seen a couple of film versions of Cider with Rosie and have never read the book, while my friend with the blistered feet is a big Laurie Lee fan.

Still, the village of Slad had a mysterious charm as I entered it:


With some houses being veiled by trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment