Saturday 8 June 2013

A Quick Stroll Through Deeply Vale

Deeply Vale is a bit of a legend for the free Pop Festival that took place there for a few years near the end of the 1970s:





Most famous of all, Steve Hillage played there, and I remember there being a big centrefold of him in the Bury Times at the time (the video below is from somewhere else of course - it's great that people are putting all this archival material on Youtube):



Besides Steve Hillage, an early incarnation of The Fall and Nik Turner's Inner City Unit also played the Deeply Vale Festival.

Thus, Deeply Vale is a place of legends, a small, tranquil valley that you can easily walk to from the Fairfield or Walmersley areas of Bury, or the Owd Betts on the Norden (Rochdale) to Edenfield top road.

Below, I've almost arrived at Deeply Vale and a group of calves are posing for a picture in a farmer's field:



Throughout my teenage and early adult years, Deeply Vale was always a peaceful retreat away from what a friend of mine (who now lives on an isolated farm in Ireland) refers to as 'the people of the Greater Manchester conurbation'. 

Yes, here at Deeply Vale, time seems to stand still, as nature has almost entirely reclaimed the old mill there:




The old lodge below brings back memories, as this is where me, my friends, and (my now dead) brother used to catch mainly perch and occasionally 'Jack' pike.  Thus, this place holds a certain amount of enchantment for me, and I'm glad I got the picture below approaching sundown:



Below, I'm following the stream round to the second lodge:


The second lodge is also used for fishing, but, occasionally, you can also see the brave and foolhardy swimming across it.

Yes, Deeply Vale has a serene quality to it, especially when there's nobody else there:  just you and the immensity of it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment