Monday 3 June 2013

Holebottom Unitarian Cemetery (Burial Ground), Bury, Lancashire

I moved up from the East Ward to the Fairfield area of Bury during my teenage years, and whenever I was walking home from Bury town centre back in those days, I always chose to meander up the green 'Piggy Lane' rather than the dull, concrete-laden Fairfield Brow. 

From these teenage years, I could vaguely remember playing in the grounds of an old disused church high up on an old dirt track to the left of Piggy Lane. While in Bury a few weeks ago, I finally decided to check out this old church from my teenage memories.

As I'd expected, there was no longer an old country church standing, and only some burial grounds.  But from the burial grounds, I was surprised to find out that the old church had been Unitarian, and not Spiritualist as I'd inaccurately imagined all these years:


Moreover, despite there no longer being a church at Holebottom, the burial ground still had a very peaceful and still atmosphere:



Yes, wherever I see them, I always love Celtic crosses.  Besides the Celtic cross, the only other two prominent things I could find in the burial ground were two old soldiers' gravestones.  These seemed to be softly blanketed in the lush green grass and bright yellow dandelions.




Yes, this was a very still and peaceful place.

No comments:

Post a Comment