Thursday 27 June 2013

Coco Rosie at Warsaw Basen 26-06-13

Finished work at 6pm yesterday, and wasn't sure if I'd get to Coco Rosie  as I was absolutely exhausted, but I'm so glad that I made the effort.

This was my third visit to the Basen in Warsaw, and I'm really warming to the ambience and design of the place.  When I got there last night, I was relieved to see that I wasn't the only over 45 in the audience.  True, the audience was mainly young, but there was a healthy crop of older people there as well.

First up, I'd never heard of Nomi Ruiz but the taped backing music, flowery visual projections, and her hoarse and sensual voice all seemed to work well together:



Indeed, it was clear that her set had gone down well when Sierra Casady encouraged her to get back on stage to do a tune together as an encore:


As the visual projections were playing an interesting role in the evening's entertainment, I decided to move to a more central position further back to watch Coco Rosie (this also made it easier to get a beer later on).

As for Coco Rosie, well, they were colourful and, at times, sublime:  needless to say, Sierra Casady has a seriously beautiful high-pitched voice and plays the harp well, while, in contrast, sister Bianca half sings-half narrates in a mischevious Bjork-type voice.  Also loved the visual imagery behind the band, this worked really well:





Yes, there was a beautiful symmettry betweem music and moving image, it was a colourful holistic experience, and I'm so glad that I managed to get to such a sensuous gig.

In reality, I only really know of Coco Rosie in passing, and only 'Lemonade' enters my mental jukebox from time to time, but, today, I had to search Youtube to find tracks like 'Child Bride' and 'Harmless Monster', which, in their different ways, are incredibly beautiful (the videos below are from a gig in Paris in late May - well done to whoever put them on Youtube):





Thus, if you get the chance to see Coco Rosie live, don't pass it over, as they're seriously good, much better than I'd expected, it was an experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment