Sunday 9 June 2013

St. Marie's Church (in Bury, Lancashire) at Sundown


When I go back to my hometown of Bury, Lancashire, which isn't often, I try to get to the Old Latin Mass at 7.30pm on Friday evening.  This is usually Low Mass (whispered quietly by the priest in Latin), and it's  only usually attended by about six people.  However, at this early time in the evening, the pubs in Bury town centre haven't got into full swing, and the sound of whispered Latin intermingling with the birds tweeting outside is quite endearing.

St. Marie's was opened in 1842.  Before this, a priest from Rochdale had had to come to Bury to offer Mass in a hired room for the town's Catholics.  I really like the statues and the figurines at the side of them at the front of the church:



I was especially happy to get a picture of St. Marie's at (or just before) sundown after Low Mass one Friday evening:


The small building on the left attached to the church is where I used to attend the cubs back in the mid-1970s.  Really enjoyed playing for St. Marie's cubs football team on Saturday mornings.

No comments:

Post a Comment