Wednesday 5 June 2013

Bury Walks: Burrs to Ramsbottom


Absolutely loved doing this walk to Ramsbottom through the Burrs.  I first got down to the Burrs from the Walmersley end, and followed the dirtpath round past the Brown Cow pub, where I used to enjoy AT on Sunday night/Monday morning many moons ago, to where the huge chimney stands:




This is also where the canoeist cabins are, and where the canoeists often get into the River Irwell swirl:


Heading past the tall chimney, I was then guided up the river valley towards Summerseat on the way to Ramsbottom by my two companions:  birdwatching enthusiasts Alan Moore and Ian (Rob) Peters:




Above, Alan and Ian/Rob are photographing a couple of butterflies (or moths) copulating:



What was immediately noticeable was that these two guys were far more sensitised to the subtle but beautiful processes of nature than poor old me.  While Ian/Rob is a Zoology graduate and former RSPB officer, Alan only took up birdwatching three years ago as a means of getting good exercise.  Thus, the duo are a kind of 'master and apprentice' team who get full value from their encounters with nature.  I've known Alan for years and can see that his recent birdwatching exploits have given him a new lease of life.

When we arrived at Ramsbottom, it was very colourful, as it was the 'World War 2 Re-enactment Day':



Moreover, after a short walk up over Holcombe Moor, we went back down into 'Rammy' to have a look at one of my favourite Bury black gothic churches:



Was really happy to have my small camera with the zoom lens on me here, managing to capture the beauty of this church at close quarters:







To round things off nicely, before setting off back towards Bury town centre, I met up with my old mate Simon Cusick who now lives in Ramsbottom:


Simon is on the left above pictured with Alan Moore.  I've known Simon since St. Joseph's Infant School when we both lived in the East Ward area of Bury.




No comments:

Post a Comment